UGN Security
Posted By: preloaded SoftOS and SoftWall - 04/18/02 06:47 PM
I have searched extensively for any information regearding SoftOS and Softwall as a Linux alternative firewall, but to no avail. I was wondering if anyone had any experience regarding this or if they could lead me in the right direction. I have already searched google and found very little information regarding this topic.
pre
Posted By: Gremelin Re: SoftOS and SoftWall - 04/18/02 11:24 PM
Go with SmoothWall or IPCop.. Their the best firewalls you can get, all stipred down paranoid linux, tons of info on them, etc...
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: SoftOS and SoftWall - 04/19/02 01:41 AM
Yup. If you don't think you can take Gizmo's word (well you should LOL), then I would hope you would take my word... Smoothwall is a nice one. Yet in all truth there are SEVERAL, firewalls out there. A lo and I won't name them all. They are free, some you need to pay, some easy, some hard. Do some exploring. Besides finding a good safe firewall, also need one that fits your needs and what things you work with. Anyquestions you can drop em by. Just of heads up I will be out until sunday afternoon, I'll then check back.
Posted By: preloaded Re: SoftOS and SoftWall - 04/22/02 04:09 PM
I just wanted to thank you guys for your input on this subject. THe reason I was asking was because a friend of mine wnted me to check his company's access point for any vulnerabilities... which is pretty hard when you know nothing about the OS. Behind this "wall" is a couple SSL servers and a IIS I think. Upon asking him again he stated that he was mistaken in saying that the wall was SoftOS/SoftWall (what was actually built by a Chinese group) but it was actually the more openly talked about SmoothWall as you have mentioned. He is going to supply me with IP addresses and a guest account any time now. If anyone else would like to give a try at it I'll provide them with information as long as a few generla rules are followed:
No using this network as a point of attack.
Be prepared to write up any activity that you do on the network.
(to put it simply... just play nice).
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: SoftOS and SoftWall - 04/22/02 07:42 PM
LOL, thanks for the offer. However I think a lot of us are settled. Take care, if ya need anything else. We are around.
© UGN Security Forum