UGN Security
Posted By: placid fire WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 11/08/03 03:16 AM
WHAT exactly ar eboxes and what do the different ones do?
Posted By: Gremelin Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 11/08/03 05:57 AM
Boxes, generally speaking, are involved in phreaking. They do many differant things and are easy to tell the differance by name color.

They all do differant things, you'd have to look up the type of box to get what it does, theres literally thousands of differant types.

UGN's Archive will have a boxes section which will be heald apart from the standard hacking/phreaking areas since some boxes dont really involve phreaking or hacking.

This section should be up tonight with some basic boxes, i'll be sure to have up about 30 boxes for you to just poke through.
Posted By: placid fire Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 11/09/03 02:54 AM
are boxes illegal??
Posted By: paradox Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 11/09/03 10:12 AM
depends on their use.. not illegal to make illegal to use 90% of the time
Posted By: placid fire Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 11/11/03 01:42 AM
how easy are they to make?
Posted By: Chem Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 11/12/03 09:41 AM
Depends on the kind of box,
Posted By: Defcon Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 11/12/03 01:26 PM
Some it's as easy is cutting off a phone plug and soldering another connector type on, others can be more technical, then again most don't work anymore (except in remote locations) and some are generally just myths (like the Blotto Box), better off about learning about the phone system before you learn how to use little circuits that affect this system.
Posted By: wtfsos2000 Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/06/03 01:11 PM
what duzz a red box do?
Posted By: Shinobi Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/10/03 08:27 AM
A red box is what was used to maniuplate pay phones. In short, you would make a call, the operator would ask you to insert the money. You then would play the tone of 25 cents and the call would go through, and you would get a free telephone call. On most pay phones now red boxes don't work, but sometimes you can find one that still works. If you need more info on how these were made or more on how they would work I'd be happy to e-mail it to you. I think its a little too much to post on the BBS here
Posted By: Shinobi Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/10/03 08:34 AM
Also, someone if I am wrong please correct me. As I know you will. smile
Posted By: Gremelin Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/10/03 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Shinobi:
A red box is what was used to maniuplate pay phones. In short, you would make a call, the operator would ask you to insert the money. You then would play the tone of 25 cents and the call would go through, and you would get a free telephone call. On most pay phones now red boxes don't work, but sometimes you can find one that still works. If you need more info on how these were made or more on how they would work I'd be happy to e-mail it to you. I think its a little too much to post on the BBS here
Not exactly, you can hear the differances in tones and frequency of dropping quarters in... Old payphones have un-muted mouthpieces which you play the tones; newer ones have muted.
Posted By: Shinobi Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/10/03 09:35 AM
I'm sorry to sound stupid but I am not understanding what exactly is incorrect about my description of a red box. Are you referring to the part about me describing it as a tone and not a frequency. Or me saying that you can still find pay phones that this works on?

Or are you referring to the entire description of it?

once again sorry for sounding stupid about this, It may be because I am still sick and my brain is clogged with mucus.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/10/03 10:24 AM
You don't play it to an operator...
Posted By: Shinobi Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/10/03 11:38 AM
ahhhhh I see, sorry that was a miswording on my part.

I now see that I should have worded it. after you made the red box, you would dial the number the telephone would request payment, then you would use the red box to emulate money being inserted into the machine.

sorry for any misunderstanding I may have caused.
Posted By: wtfsos2000 Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/11/03 07:37 AM
can sum1 tell me how 2 make a red box
Posted By: Shinobi Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/11/03 07:47 AM
As I said before In my post if you would like more information on red boxes I would be glad to e-mail that to you. However the red box probably won't work on any phone you were to try it on. Because as gizmo stated the new telephones have muted mouthpieces. So the redbox won't do you much good.

You can try this site also.

http://www.phonelosers.org
Posted By: Gremelin Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 12/11/03 07:56 AM
http://www.phonelosers.org/red_box.html
Posted By: Zen Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 02/26/04 09:17 AM
I was reading in 2600 that they still work well sort of. All you gotta do is dial your local operator and socially engineer her/him into thinking you're having trouble. Say something like this. "Hi I am having difficulty with this payphone. It won't accept my change. Could you check it for me?" "Sure, what number are you calling?" "555-0102" "Okay why don't you put the money in?" Put the red box up to the phone and generate the tones! "Ummm OK I will connect you!" Of course the coins didn't go through most operators will be polite and patch you through but there are always the [censored] operators that are like. "Try it again jack [censored] and I will have the FEDs on you like white on rice!" So just be cordial and polite to the nice op and I am sure he/she will understand. Have fun and happy phreaking!...... Biznatch!
Posted By: King Fransisco IV Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 06/22/04 02:39 AM
the closest thing i have ever done to this is pouring water down a vending machine.
Posted By: §intå× Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 06/22/04 02:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by King Fransisco IV:
the closest thing i have ever done to this is pouring water down a vending machine.
<flame stfu >
Which is nothing like pheaking. Nothing at all intelligent or technical in that. Phreaking is the study of a system. The phone system. Not adolescent vandalism. </flame stfu >
Posted By: King Fransisco IV Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 06/22/04 02:58 AM
still, it was very funny
Posted By: §intå× Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 06/22/04 03:08 AM
King Fransisco IV = stupid
Posted By: King Fransisco IV Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 06/22/04 03:11 AM
bite my shiny metal [censored]
Posted By: dorkus the kid Re: WHAT EXACTLY ARE BOXES - 07/07/04 11:28 PM
bite my shiny metal [censored]

what a moron...
© UGN Security Forum