UGN Security
Posted By: SephiroX Phone Line Switch - 10/05/02 03:36 PM
I want to make some kind of switch that would let me switch from either the first line or the second line
was there any way i could do this?
i wanted it to kinda be like this....

_____________________\/the phone
wallsocket|------[^]----O
_______________^the lil switchbox

it would just be one line from the wall socket then the line would go into some lil box where it splits the line into the switch then you can flip the switch to choose what line to go on the the chosen line would be the line that goes out to the phone
know what i mean?
Posted By: ohfuk Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/05/02 04:08 PM
they probably have something at radio shack. but you i think you would need 2 lines going into the little box and one comming out
Posted By: Crime Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/05/02 07:21 PM
seph, what fourm should this be in ?
Posted By: black^Pimp Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/05/02 07:45 PM
SephiroX you said it all yourself in the end, but tell me, did u try it ?

P.S. Crime, good question.
Posted By: SephiroX Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/05/02 08:35 PM
Its not phreaking, now is it...
Posted By: Crime Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/05/02 10:58 PM
"Welcome to the Phreaking Forum! For those of you that are new, Phreaking is all about learning about and exploring the Phone System. Feel free to ask any question you'd like, and check out the KBase for informative text files. All we ask is that you be respectable and please don't post Calling Card Numbers or anything of an abusive or destructive nature."
Posted By: Le4rner Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/05/02 11:33 PM
Sounds easy enough.....

What you got? One line on Yellow and Black, One line on Red and Green?

Lets say this is your line

------------------------------Red
#####################-----------
#####################Green
#####################Yellow
#####################Black
------------------------------

that runs into your box
Switch ==>|<==Switch
:------------:
:.................:##################
:------------: ^ Line to phone
^switching box

Man this is a [censored] on UBB....

so in the box when you flip the switch one way it should connect yellow and black to the line going to the phone. The other way red and green.

You could do this with a switch from a hardware store and some plywood.
Posted By: sinetific Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/07/02 05:07 PM
buy a four position dip switch. hook them up like this for each color:
red1------o dipswitch1
................../O---------line out
red2------o /
(dont mind the dots damn ubb wont let me leave spaces)
then just throw all four switches to switch the line.
[Linked Image]
just go to radioshack and ask for a 4 position dip switch they cost like $1
Mind you there are quite a few ways to do this, this is just the cheapest one.
Posted By: unreal Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/07/02 06:19 PM
Moved to the correct forum.
Posted By: hKzKnight Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/07/02 07:36 PM
I would say, carry a bit more then $1, it's radio shack... It's $20 (well not really but neway).
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/09/02 06:42 PM
Doesn't sound that hard actually...

Buy a Mini Box (the smallest they have will work, it is like 1"x3"x1/2", get a metal switch, get some intercom wire and 2 line extenders (those things that you use to make 2 lines into one long line).

::thinks::

now, your metal switch (kinda like the switch for your lights only for electronics, it will have 6 points (3 sets of 2, first set will be line 1, second set will be to the phone, and the last set will be the second line).

Now, split your line extenders in half (so you have two parts) and cut the wires. Now cut about 3 2" lengths of wire.

One one of the lengths of your intercom wire (two actual wires per length) you need to seperate it about 1/4th an inch and solder red/black to your switch. Do this for each wire length until all three of your lengths are wired to your switch.

Now with your line splitters solder the red wire in your line splitter to a black line on your intercom wire, and green from your line splitter to white on your switch.

When you finnish this you'll have three sets of adapters coming from yoru switch, now apply the switch to your "mini box" or whatever, you could use lego's for all i care. now you will need to stick the center wired adapter to the front of your box and the two remainders to the end section of your box.

You should now see two inputs (on bottom) and one output (on top).

Plug line 1 and 2 into the inputs, and your telephone to the output.

It SHOULD work fine, not too hard to do, most expencive thing would be the mini box, most of the other stuff I just had laying around the house.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Phone Line Switch - 10/09/02 06:43 PM
Oh, for a note on my post, you HAVE to get a switch that has 3 sets of two prongs on the bottom end, radio shack should have tons of differant ones, some metal (flip) switches and some slide switches, it doens't really matter what you use (I just found a large mercury switch here). You can even use some "Rocker" switches (like the type on an AT computer case.
© UGN Security Forum