UGN Security
Posted By: §intå× Monster open source project idea - 04/12/03 09:16 AM
imagine a program that you did your coding in.

Now imagine that same program could translate it to any other language you wanted. Think about it.

You code in java save the text, and later come back and have it translate that to C ot C++.

Grant it it would be a beast of a program. It would take years to make. But can anyone see a good use for this?

It could help to kill compatability issues.

Have the same program able to compile all the languages as well.

What do ou guys think?
Posted By: thebluegiant Re: Monster open source project idea - 04/12/03 10:29 AM
I think I remember reading about something that did this last year or so. I don't have time to look around (heading off to take my driving test) but I'm fairly certain that it could translate between two languages and that it did a horrible job of it. Made extremely inneficient, overblown programs, etc.

Or, of course, I could have just had a dream about it.
Posted By: jonconley Re: Monster open source project idea - 04/12/03 11:11 AM
Yeah, there are various things. I think they were actually webbased too. Very limited and you enter from one language and it converts to a certain other. Too tired to check. I know it wasn't very efficient either, but it may be a good starting off point, eh?
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Monster open source project idea - 04/12/03 11:23 AM
Perl is already capable of being converted to C. There are faqs in the official documentation that discusses the likelihood of converted perl programs to C being faster.
Posted By: jonconley Re: Monster open source project idea - 04/17/03 11:41 AM
http://asp2php.naken.cc/faq.php

Im moving ASP/AccessDB from IIS on NT to Apache on linux, and while looking for solutions, I ran into this.
© UGN Security Forum