UGN Security
Posted By: Curse Computer Class - 08/23/02 07:13 PM
School is about to start, and for a few of us it already has. Well I was thinking it could be helpful if we used this topic to assist people with Computer related classes. So if you have any tips for people, or if you need tips, post here, k? And this is not going to be used for people to question this topic, and try to keep it mostly serious...
Posted By: Moffesto Re: Computer Class - 08/24/02 01:34 AM
ok, what does FAT mean... like NTFS means new technology file system or something. and what is memory paging? whats the difference between expanded and extended memory? whats file system does linux use?
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Computer Class - 08/24/02 02:51 AM
Some answers I had to look up, I provided links

FAT = File Allocation Table

Memory Paging = Basically pages of memory stored on disk typically in a swap file
(see: http://aips2.nrao.edu/docs/glossary/v.html#virtual_memory)

Expanded vs Extended = Good question. Hard to explain
(see: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/E/expanded_memory.html)

Linux Filesystem = ext2 filesystem is the most common. Others are in development.
Posted By: Infinite Re: Computer Class - 08/24/02 03:27 AM
NTFS = NeTwork File System

sum
Posted By: Moffesto Re: Computer Class - 08/25/02 02:55 AM
sum, our teacher told us NTFS meant New technology File System, but ok.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Computer Class - 08/25/02 11:58 AM
NTFS = NT File System

That's pretty much the only sure thing you can say. People say that the original meaning of NT is New Technology but Microsoft doesn't say (according to a definition I just read). I have also heard it refered to NeTwork file system. You're both right, but if somebody is more right, then it would be Moffesto's teacher.
Posted By: Curse Re: Computer Class - 08/26/02 07:34 PM
IP Address = Internet Protocol Address
Posted By: Deviation187 Re: Computer Class - 08/26/02 07:35 PM
www = world wide web

now thats knowledge...
Posted By: xero Re: Computer Class - 08/26/02 08:02 PM
isnt NFS network file system?? iuno maybe im just stupid.. confused
Posted By: Deviation187 Re: Computer Class - 08/26/02 08:03 PM
yeah, that must be it
Posted By: olosoft Re: Computer Class - 08/27/02 07:30 PM
in the start up screen of polish, russian, and german windows 2000s it says based on new technology where in the english version it says based on NT technology.
Posted By: BackSlash Re: Computer Class - 08/28/02 12:23 AM
our school offers a class that will supposedly prepare you for the microsoft MOUS certification, what are your opinions on that cert, to me it seems somewhat basic and remedial and hardly worth the 75 dolla test fee. looking for opinions?
Posted By: Moffesto Re: Computer Class - 09/03/02 01:44 PM
ok, more questions.

1. In the DOM, a tag is an object and the HTML pages are properties of that object. True or false?

2. How many colors or patterns is a GIF image limited to?
A.16
B. 256
C. 1216
D. Unlimited

3. _________ consists of a mosaic of individual squares of light.
a. a vector based image
b. a bitmap image
c. a pixel
d. bezier curves

4. The image tag allows you to add attributes that control the action and appereance of an image. True or false?

5. Which image format has ownership restrictions for the use of the compression technology'?
a. PNG
b.GIF
c. BMP
d. jpeg

thats a few questions out of a shitload left.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Computer Class - 09/03/02 04:57 PM
/me looks at the questions and scratches his head.

Some I can answer with confidence, others I can answer but have that nagging doubt I'm wrong, other questions annoy me by how they're asked. Nah, that's too much like school for me. No help from this corner...

...unless you pay me five dolla' wink
Posted By: Moffesto Re: Computer Class - 09/03/02 09:21 PM
lol, u [censored], this is school work. This is a tech site, alil support wink people
© UGN Security Forum