UGN Security
Posted By: Spyrios something news but not news worthy - 02/03/05 09:54 AM
Jan. 20, 2005 - A lack of intellect or problem-solving skills in young men may make them more prone to mental illness and suicide.
Researchers found young men who scored lowest on intelligence tests were more likely to commit suicide in later years.

In particular, young men who scored the worst on tests of logic at age 18 were two to three times more likely to commit suicide during middle age than those with the best scores.
Researchers say the link between intelligence and suicide risk is unclear. But these results suggest that intellectual capacity in early adulthood is strongly related to the subsequent risk of suicide in young men.

Low IQ, Suicide Risk
In the study, which appears in the Jan. 22 issue of the British Medical Journal, researchers examined the association between intelligence test scores in men at age 18 and the risk of suicide in later years.

They analyzed the results of four intelligence tests covering logic, language, spatial, and technical skills given to nearly a million Swedish men from 1968-1994. The men were then followed for up to 26 years.
Better test performance was associated with a lower risk of suicide. This relationship was particularly strong in regard to logic abilities. Men who scored the best on this test were two to three times less likely to have committed suicide during the follow-up period compared with the men who had the worst scores.

Researchers say more studies are needed to investigate the relationship between intelligence and suicide risk, as previous studies have had conflicting results.
But they say one possible explanation is that influences in early childhood may increase a person's susceptibility to mental illness and, therefore, suicide. Another explanation may be that people who have a harder time solving problems in times of crisis may be more prone to suicide than others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOURCE: Gunnell, D. British Medical Journal, Jan. 22, 2005; vol 330: pp 167-170.
Posted By: Defcon Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/03/05 11:35 PM
Jeez, looks like the next generation of kids is gonna be screwed.
Posted By: avalon Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/06/05 11:05 AM
Well if you cannot figure out tasks that are deemed simple by society, I am sure you react with frustration. As frustration builds you turn your anger inward, you believe you are what is broken, thus creating suicidal tendancies. At least thats my theory.
Posted By: pergesu Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/08/05 04:32 AM
Well, it's nice to know I have 0 chance of committing suicide smile
Posted By: IceMyst Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/08/05 05:55 AM
But being suicidal is so much fun!
Posted By: Spyrios Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/08/05 11:12 AM
hem, I guess this proves Goths are really just stupid.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/08/05 04:34 PM
Pale chix == hot...
Posted By: §intå× Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/08/05 09:48 PM
Stupid chix == hot... wink
Posted By: IceMyst Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/09/05 05:37 AM
IceMyst= goth trapped in a prepie's body
bring on the leather and whips!!!
Posted By: Digital Geek Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/09/05 06:40 PM
pale stupid goth chix == hot

erm ... no wait ...
Posted By: IceMyst Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/10/05 05:20 AM
i'm pale, i'm stupid, plus i'm a goth on the inside does that mean i'm hot?
Posted By: Girlie Re: something news but not news worthy - 02/10/05 11:38 AM
Quote:
A lack of intellect or problem-solving skills in young men may make them more prone to mental illness and suicide.
Wow, this explains SO much about Mr. Pathetic you have no idea. wink

I've never really got the whole goth appeal. Everyone always told me I'd be a "hot goth chick" I guess it's cuz of the dark hair and ivory complexion? *raises eyebrow* No idea.

Icey, none of those things make you hot. It's your ability to snap from sweetheart to [censored] in .001 of a second that makes you sexor. wink
© UGN Security Forum