UGN Security
Posted By: dorkus the kid read only password file - 07/10/04 10:17 AM
hi my frinds and i were trying to crack my OWN password the other day using my friends lap top. well we were doing good, but the folder the password is in is read only... what do i do now?
Posted By: ? Re: read only password file - 07/10/04 10:18 AM
what OS?
Posted By: pergesu Re: read only password file - 07/10/04 10:36 AM
That's not a problem. If you can read the file, you can load it into your password cracker, and then run it. If your program is trying to write to that directory, just change the output file to somewhere you have write-access to.
Posted By: dorkus the kid Re: read only password file - 07/10/04 10:38 AM
i am running windows xp (booo) and i am cracking it on the lap top using fedora (yay).
Posted By: dorkus the kid Re: read only password file - 07/10/04 11:57 AM
okay i am still trying to get my password but i am using a usb thumb drive cuz the system file wont fit on a floppy... but... i cant find the thumb drive in knoppix (i switched to a bootable version of knoppix) can some one help me out...please
Posted By: ? Re: read only password file - 07/10/04 12:37 PM
you have to mount the usb drive. I it is either in the /dev folder or the /media folder (suse) depending on if you have a newer version of knoppix that has the driver for the usb thumb drive.
Posted By: dorkus the kid Re: read only password file - 07/11/04 12:35 AM
okay when i go into the /dev folder there is a folder for USB. is that it? do i jsut drag the ststem file in to that?
Posted By: dashocker Re: read only password file - 07/11/04 07:56 AM
The command you need to use is called "mount" But I guess you might be able to do it some other way in Fedora. You could also try right-clicking on the password folder and un-checking the "read-only" box (in Windows).
Posted By: ? Re: read only password file - 07/13/04 11:16 PM
I seriously don't see what the problem is, just copy the file. or jus do it in KDE if you don't know the commands.

mount "path of thumbdrive"
cp "path of file" "path of thumbdrive"
© UGN Security Forum