UGN Security
Posted By: sinetific doskey - 08/15/02 10:03 PM
yeah does doskey work on any other plaform besides 9x and if no, can i get it to work somehow. I like my command prompt and doskey makes it so much better. XP took it away from me and now i think im gonna cry.
Posted By: Moffesto Re: doskey - 08/15/02 10:35 PM
i never used it.... u have a link i could try it out? I thought you mispelled donkey :x
Posted By: sinetific Re: doskey - 08/15/02 11:53 PM
nm i figured it out i have to run cmd instead of command from the run window to be able to use it. It should be standard like copy or dir. its a memory buffer that allows you to repeat the commands that you previously wrote by using the up and down arrow keys like in what history does in *nix.
Posted By: Moffesto Re: doskey - 08/16/02 12:15 AM
that sounds pretty cool, ima have to check it out. does it work for 2k?
Posted By: Infinite Re: doskey - 08/16/02 03:22 AM
Yeah, it is included in win2k.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: doskey - 08/16/02 01:02 PM
heh, I know exactly what you mean sinetific. I was seriously irritated at my Win2k command prompt cause it was so frickin slow (I could type faster than it displays the letters) and didn't have doskey! Aaargh! To make matters worse - it didn't support long file names! Then I discovered cmd.exe and am in love again.
Posted By: sinetific Re: doskey - 08/17/02 06:57 PM
Heres another lil tip to make the XP command prompt a little easier to navigate and more *nix like.
Filename Completion:
Edit the registry and add/update these (REG_DWORD) :

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Command Processor]
CompletionChar= 9 (ASCII value for TAB)
PathCompletionChar= 9 (ASCII value for TAB)

This will make it so you can type the first feew letters of a command than hit to tab and it will autocomplete it for you. I think it also works for 2K but i havent tested it myself as sum.
Posted By: Infinite Re: doskey - 08/17/02 07:04 PM
It does work in 2K. On my XP box it was enabled by default, but not in 2K. As well, in 2K there is no 'PathCompletionChar' string, so you will have to create it yourself if you want to use it. Just be sure to make the string a 'DWORD' value, and then make the value 9 like sin mentioned.

sum
© UGN Security Forum