UGN Security
Posted By: UTKEngineer Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/06/05 11:44 PM
Hey All,

What is your favorite P2P program?

I've been off the bandwagon for quite sometime (since the KazaaLite era). What's good out there now? I'm familiar with BitTorrent and use Azureus for big files like Linux .ISO's and the like, but don't know what a good program for smaller, individual files which I've not been able to find torrent's for.

Also, I've installed WinMX (any thoughts?) and have uploaded a few files but haven't been able to download anything. Anyone have any ideas as to why this should be? Kazaa and Azureus still work on my computer so I'm inclinded to think it's not a ISP firewall issue, but might be wrong. Any and all thoughts are welcme!
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/07/05 03:22 AM
I like Torrents (see the torrent topic in general); programs however I like LimeWire
Posted By: pergesu Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/07/05 12:54 PM
bahaha, WinMX?

Get out of 8th grade man
Posted By: UTKEngineer Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/07/05 08:51 PM
Yep, WinMX. It's actually showing tons of files that I'd be interested in, but for some reason they won't download. I can't find torrents for alot of the files that I'm interested in.

BTW: If you dislike WinMX so much, why not suggest a replacement? I don't care what I use so long as it works and has the files I'm looking for.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/08/05 01:37 AM
I did sugguest a replacement:
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo:
I like Torrents (see the torrent topic in general); programs however I like LimeWire
As for not being able to find torrents, if you can't find them then you're looking in the wrong places.

Please see the Torrent Thread in the General section (as you're in General now you've obviously seen it).
Posted By: dashocker Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/08/05 02:19 AM
I'm using LimeWire. Also an old version of eDonkey2000 because download.com tells me the new version has spyware. I use eDonkey2000 for torrent support and to download full albums. The only weakness of LimeWire as far as I can see is no full albums...
Posted By: UTKEngineer Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/08/05 03:04 AM
Whoops. Looks like I put my foot in my mouth.

Gizmo, That wasn't addressed to you. I was telling pergesu that it'd be more helpful to me if he explained why WinMX was a bad choice and then gave examples of programs that have overcome these weaknesses.

I have looked into the Torrent post and found some VERY useful info. My only problem with torrents is that it's hard to find individual songs. Say I only want one song. Normally I have to select the entire album for download and then tell Azureus to only download the song I want. The big flaw here is that Azureus blocks out space for the ENTIRE album on my harddrive. So, it takes alot of space, esp when pulling several songs from several albums. Do other torrent programs not have this flaw?

Also, thanks to both Gizmo and dashocker for keying me into LimeWire, I'm gonna download it tonight once I get home from work. Thanks again, you've both been VERY helpful.
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/08/05 04:17 AM
Depends on the torrent, I know with BitLord I can set it to download certian files from the torrents, so if they rip a torrent of a directory "album" and there are songs presant I can deselect those which I do NOT want from the download.

Additionally if just looking for songs I'd reccommend something useful like LimeWire vs torrents. Torrents are best for finding something other than a single song.

Myself I love LimeWire, it has it's uses and is a on a better network than KaZaA
Posted By: UTKEngineer Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/08/05 09:42 PM
I downloaded and isntalled limewire last night. It is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks so much!

PS: Happy Birthday, Gizmo!
Posted By: Gremelin Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 04/09/05 01:41 AM
LimeWire Pro is better than the free version (you download faster); it's kinda easy to find it on piratebay, hell I got my first one from LimeWire Free lol
Posted By: tekk Re: Fav. P2P program and WinMX probs - 08/25/05 09:08 AM
a Combination of DC++ and IRC work well together
© UGN Security Forum