UGN Security
Posted By: loanbanker help with port 25 question! thanks. - 01/03/04 01:27 AM
if i have my system configured as a mailserver and running through a proxy how does that affect the header information?

What ip would show in the header? would it be the ip of the proxy or the ip that the isp assigns?

If I decided to send mail on my machine would the isp notice the traffic considering its running through a proxy or would it matter?

thanks.
Posted By: AnthonyVSD Re: help with port 25 question! thanks. - 01/03/04 06:16 AM
If you have the mailserver running through the proxy, it would show the IP address of the proxy server. As for the amount of traffic, it would depend on how much email you're planning to send.
Posted By: loanbanker Re: help with port 25 question! thanks. - 01/03/04 08:43 AM
I appreciate your help.

Now that I think about it,,, heck I could have just tested it. idiot post. sorry.

thanks again.
Posted By: §intå× Re: help with port 25 question! thanks. - 01/03/04 10:42 AM
Hey there Loan...

Most ISP have a but load of rules on what you can and can't do. Most never monitor this crap activly though. It is a kinda catch all for them. Like if you are using too much bandwidth then they can shut you down with out having to jump through a bunch of hoops because they already told you... DEEP BREATH

But if you are using common sense and not hosting MSN hotmail then chances are they will never notice or care.
Posted By: sinetific Re: help with port 25 question! thanks. - 01/04/04 05:25 PM
I think both your machine and the proxy would show in the header. Because I know even when telneting to mail servers the origin IP and SMTP server's IPs are present in the header.

Email generally doesn't generate the amount of traffic(bandwidth) that would make an ISP suspicous, I run an IRC server,HTTP server, and occasional FTP on my cable account and have never had a problem.
Posted By: loanbanker Re: help with port 25 question! thanks. - 01/11/04 03:47 PM
well I tested it. Turns out it shows my IP regardless of my proxy. however I think its because its a web proxy and now that i think even harder,, of course it wont show the proxy addy.

anyways, test has been done and no mention of a proxy addy just my real IP.

still playing with it and when i figure out how to send without displaying my info in the headers I will update the thread.
Posted By: paradox Re: help with port 25 question! thanks. - 01/14/04 06:15 PM
Of course it does.. the mailserver shows you the route at which it traveled if you want anonymous email.. simple tunnel through a proxy or conncet to a unix shell and do your email through there.. on the unix box.. forwarding ur emails through a proxy will only slow the email sending not mask the ip.. because of the way sending an email works

Best way get a compromised box and ssh to it then use the unix box to send email :p you can even write the header yourself or spoof it b4 it sends off many ways to do this but hey you can figure it out yourself thats half the fun and part of the challenge
© UGN Security Forum