UGN Security
Posted By: medic Startup problem. - 09/01/02 04:31 AM
I am sure this is a simple question and barely worth your time, but . . . when win2k pro starts up I get this "trying to install" message and it is asking for a disk. All I have to do is cancel through a couple error messages but it is annoying. I have tried giving it the disk it wants but it says it can't find what it wants. How do I get rid of this? Note: Registry illiterate!!
Posted By: Infinite Re: Startup problem. - 09/01/02 05:34 AM
What exactly is it trying to install?

sum
Posted By: medic Re: Startup problem. - 09/01/02 06:08 PM
One of the setup disks for Microsoft Word.
Posted By: Curse Re: Startup problem. - 09/01/02 07:37 PM
Medic, thank you for being a Newbie who is asking a legitamate question, you have actually earned alittle bit of my respect...

<<psychogen adds!>>

Thank you Curse, for being an imature little prick, but this question was fair enough and did not require sarcastic comments, obviously you are not literate in this field or you would have posted some sort of solution to the above problem!
So STFU unless its in the Off Topic forum.
Posted By: SilentRage Re: Startup problem. - 09/02/02 01:00 AM
Check your startup areas for programs you don't want there. Be prepared to put it back if you make a mistake. The best place to look is the registry:

Execute Regedit and look for the following key
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Look at each value under that key and remove anything that you think shouldn't be there.

EDIT:

I just read that you're registry illiterate. You can probably figure out what to do from what I told ya above, but I'll be more detailed:

Hold down the windows key and press 'R' to display the run dialog.
Type 'Regedit' and press enter

See the branching whatnot in the left panel? navigate to this location
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

When you click that 'Run' key, you'll get a list of value pairs in the right panel. There are 2 columns. The first column is the name of the data stored, and the second column is the data. Under the Run key, it is a bunch of locations to executeable files on your computer that gets executed when you boot up. Check each location and right-click 'Remove' any you don't want. Write it down first so that you can put it back if you need to.

If you're using Win98 or WinME, then you should also look at 'RunServices' right underneath the run key.
© UGN Security Forum